Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Past Experiances with Reading and Writing

When I was in second grade I started writing more and more words in class. I loved to sit there and write notes to my friends or make cards for someones birthday. I loved to read as well I could read all day and all night. I was only in second grade though so the books I read were short and had alot of pictures. When I was that young all I did was stay home so I always read. I kept a journal for a long time when i was younger and I wrote everyday, almost. As I got older i started to not like reading and writing as much. I always wanted to go to my friends house or play video games with my brother instead of reading. When i was in sixth grade i moved to Smithville. This school was alot different than the one i used to go to. My old one was a lot bigger and a lot more people. They had this program called reading counts. This was a program where we took a test to see what our lexile level was at reading, and then we got a number of how many points the book we read had to be. My lexile level in 6th grade was 10. In high school we had to do it as well except depending on the class you were in the number of points were different. It got all the way up to 18 points each semester we had to do. After you read the book you have to take a test on the computer over the book to see if you really read it. The tests were ten questions. If you got 7 or more right you passed. I think this is why I dont like to read as much as i used to.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Savanna,

    Can you elaborate more on this about the connection between reading and writing practices today? Are you a reader or writer today? How do these topics come to you and when I say this, I want to know if reading and writing come naturally?

    Onto the writing you did for Task 4 -- you have compiled a list of ideas to write about for Task 4 of which include:

    1) Your 7th grade reading teacher
    2) You hate reading
    3) You love writing, but not specific things (when you are assigned a topic)
    4) College has encouraged you to be a better writer.

    I think that these are great topics; however, I wonder if it may be difficult for you to generate three to four pages of why you hate to read, but maybe not. Is there a way to connect this to your 7th grade reading teacher? If not, you might discuss the relationship you have with reading and writing, why you hate to read, but you love to write.

    Ms. C

    ReplyDelete