Friday, November 19, 2010

#2 on Refections on Reading and Writing

Douglass' efforts to learn were amazing in my opinion. I think it is very awesome that he didn't want to be a "stupid" slave like all the rest of his kind of people. I think that Douglass was very independent and he didn't want to be a slave for life so he started trying to learn a little at a time. He was so exited any chance he got to pick up a newspaper or a book and start to read. Although Douglass' masters didnt want him to learn to read or write and when they would see him with a book or newspaper they would immediatly take it away from him, he still proceeded to try to learn more behind their back. Douglass would do anything he could to learn more about reading and writing. He wanted to learn new words every chance he got. When I was younger, starting in kindergarten, I loved learning new words and loved reading books. I loved to write. I would sit in class and write notes to all my friends and when we had assignments to write new words I always went over and above the requirements. Everyday we had a new word we would learn. We would learn the definition of the word and the spelling of it. At the end of the week we would have to make sentences using each word we learned that week. Me and Douglass are similar becuase he enjoyed learning and writing just like I did when I was younger.

1 comment:

  1. HI Savanna,

    I'm pleased with the connection you make with Douglass. This might be something that you can include for Task 4 should you include to use Douglass' essay. No audience will negate the fact that the context in which you learned how to read/write is drastically different; however, I would caution you to remember the context of this essay. It is important to remind ourselves that while slaves were not as educated as the masses, they were not stupid. This wasn't their choice, nor fault. This was because of the masses. The masses, though not all, wanted them to remain uneducated, because this would instill oppression. It would keep them in their place; otherwise, if they were to become literate, the slaves would then understand that slavery is very wrong. They would come to understand that this was not a way of life.

    Ms. C

    ReplyDelete